Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here we go!

So the time is here and I can't wait. I'm glad I waited an extra day, really got a lot done with no hurry. Got some better straps and reorganized some things. Got the bike all loaded up and even took it for a test drive out on the highway. When I went out this afternoon it was 102 degrees! But that is just a taste of tomorrow and the next several days. Today in Amarillo TX it was 105 degrees and 2% humidity. 

The Vstrom is a heavy beast at low speeds but I am impressed at how it handles at speed with all the weight. I wish I had weighed all the stuff but it has to be over a hundred pounds. Maybe more.

So tomorrow I will depart early (4:30 am or so) and ride to Amarillo - about 600 miles. If it is still that hot I will probably find a Motel 6 or something. I could try to camp somewhere but I know I wouldn't sleep well and I don't want to get fatigued on the first day of a loooooong journey.

Here are a few pics that Susan took of me leaving on my test ride this afternoon.