Thursday, July 7, 2011

Update July 6 - Stewart to Prince George BC

Sandy and I got up at a decent time (7 am?) and packed up all our stuff. It was chilly again, upper 40's with a heavy dew.

I started down the highway with over 160 miles on my tank of gas but I recalled that the Milepost said that all services were available at the Meziadin Junction just 40 miles away. Then I got a strange thought. I didn't recall any activity at the small group of buildings at the junction. I was busy navigating and looking that I didn't pay attention to what was there. So I stopped and told Sandy that I wasn't sure about the junction and wanted to go back into town and top off.

The 40 mile stretch from Stewart to the Meziadin Junction is VERY scenic in the valley between the mountains with snow on the tops and silvery streams falling steeply through the rocky cliffs down to the river.

It's a good thing I topped off before we left. The Milepost said services were available but when we got back there the place was closed - permanently!

I was expecting a gas stop or hotel along the way to get some coffee or breakfast  but there was absolutely nothing for 140 miles until we got down to Kitwanga. I would have run out of gas for sure!
This tiny little hole-in-the-wall cafe in this little Indian village had one of the best breakfasts we had enjoyed on the entire trip! You just never know!

It was along this stretch of highway that I had my closest call with disaster on the trip. I was leading and going down the highway at about 65 mph (speed limit was 65). It had started to rain steadily for 30 minutes or so and was still cold. The shoulders and brush were close to the side of the road.

Then all of a sudden a medium size black bear ambled out right in front of me from the left. He looked at me over his shoulder and picked up his pace just a little. I had my feet up on the pegs and had a split second to decide to hit my front brake hard or swerve just a little to the left. I touched the brake (I think) and swerved just a little (the road was very wet in the rain) and I missed that guy by just a few feet.

And just as quick as it happened he was gone and we were going down the road. The possibilities sobered me. But as I like to say, there is no use in thinking about what might have happened because, "Whatever might have happened... Did!"

Sandy asked me later, "Was that guy as close as he looked?" I said "He sure was."

We got breakfast and gas and headed south again and rode hard for the next 300 miles or so. The day ended up at 438 miles with one gas stop for about an hour and one brief stop for Sandy to put his rain gear on. We rode in and out of sun and rain continuously all day. 
Once again, for perspective, here is a big picture view of today's ride.
Point A is Hyder, Alaska. This is 438 miles and ends in Prince George, the capitol of British Columbia
Other than that we are back in civilization again with good highway, lots of small towns and gas stations. I think we have pretty much left the remote and bear infested country. 

We found an RV park and set our tents up.

So from here (Prince George) we will depart and head south for a few hours and then split up about Cache Creek. Sandy is heading down to Spokane to see his son and I will head southwest to Vancouver, BC to make my way down to see my sister in Vancouver, WA. 

I have been told that I have spent more time talking about the trip and have not said much about Sandy. Forgive me but the days are long and tiring and I have wanted to capture as much as possible in my blog before I forget. 

Here is a quick picture or two of Sandy from the restaurant last night and the campground.
Sandy wanted to apologize - he is usually clean shaven but has let it grow out on the trip


Sandy is a farmer from Montana about 120 miles east of Glacier National Park. He has been farming primarily wheat on a farm of about 5000 acres (actually 2 separate farms). He explained to me that 5000 acres is about 8 sections, and a section is a mile square. So he farms an area about one mile by 8 miles long to give a general concept. But what amazes me is that he has run that farm completely by himself for 25 years. All the planting, fertilizing, and harvesting of about 80 to 100,000 bushels of wheat every year he does all my himself and his wife Jeanette. 

He told me that when he plants a crop is costs him about $100,000 and he won't know how well it will turn out for a year. When he fertilizes it costs another $100k. Then he harvests it all in July and August.

He also has several motorcycles. In addition to his 2009 BMW GSA he has a Honda ST-1300, a Hayabusa, a Vstrom 650 (just like mine), and a 1967 Honda 50 (!). He also has 3 or 4 four wheelers around the farm. 

He just reminded me that to say that we are the same age as well (56). 

He is very modest and didn't want me to say all these things but they all briefly describe his background and give a little context so I talked him into letting me write it. 

We will ride south a few hours and then split up. Sandy, when you get home a read this I hope it is all ok. I have really enjoyed riding with you, and I haven't ridden with many people at all (none certainly for this length of time!). You have been generous and friendly and a very good riding partner. I will be on the road for another 5 or 6 days after you get home and then I will get a chance to read this. 

We gotta get on the road now so I will update again when I can.