Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 7 - Jasper to Dawson Creek


I rode just 403 miles today, got a late start this morning and stopped several times. But what was significant was that I hit the point of disoriented bliss that others have described on this trip. I barely know what day it is and I have very little idea of where the hell I am. It is exciting in a way but also confusing, disorienting, and intimidating. How can I explain...

When we travel in the states we know where we are going. We have a framework of known highways, cities and towns, and state borders. But these provinces are so huge up here and there is so much nothing that it is hard to have an idea of where you are. There is no frame of reference. I rode yesterday about 200 miles thru a featureless pine forest, then today much the same thing for 400 miles. I feel like I am on a thin line of asphalt in an ocean of pine forests, punctuated only occasionally by a small town here and there. Distance is meaningless, it is only time - measured in days.

Interesting observation - I have seen several small blue signs that say, "Local station CBC 88.3". There are so few radio stations in this vast wilderness that they have to tell you where they are on the dial!

I remember seeing a bumper sticker on a motorcycle somewhere that said "Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat."  That pretty much describes life right now. I now am getting a good idea of what they mean when they say "A Long Way." And I still have, what, 3 or 4 or 5 days to go - I am not even sure now.

Some of you may remember the book "Jonathon Livingston Seagull." At one point Jonathon was trying to fly faster and faster. But then an elder seagull told him to relax, "The perfect speed, my son, is just being there."  Well, I am there now. Just being here, in disoriented bliss. 


Life is good,

Jerry